Thursday, November 06, 2008

What I worry about.

I always want to know about everyones life story- seriously. I love to hear people talk about their lives- well not on and on and on, but enough for me to sort of understand where they are coming from and why they do the things that they do. For example, when I tell people I'm from Maryland its like a lightbulb goes off for them. I know- kind of weird.
I especially like when professors talk about their lives. This does not really happen all that often- but when it does I enjoy it. Sometimes I worry about my professors. I mean they can be the nicest people but if you want to be hated- become a teacher. I know its not their fault that their tests get failed or that their lectures are super boring but the teacher is the first one we blame. Not the fact that we did not study or even try to pay attention to the lecture- well actually the lecture one may partially be their fault. SOOO... I wonder what their lives are like outside the classroom- do they have a wife? kids? what do they do for fun? do they have friends? are they happy? do they fear for the future after they grade our tests?
I have this one professor who is so nice and knows all of us and where we are from- not in a creepy way. But every single class he goes through the same 2 minute lecture on the white board markers and how they are running out, and then he pulls a marker out of his pocket and uses it. When he does this same lecture I worry about him and wonder about his life. I know he is married and has kids- which makes me feel better. I don't know why I worry- or wonder for that matter. Then he uses the marker he pulled from his pocket and the lecture (the boring kind) starts again, and my attention is once again re-focused until we have another marker situation.
Is it strange that I wonder and worry? Sometimes when I go to their offices I look for pictures and am seriously releived when I see they are living normal lives. One is a bishop in a singles ward- that could be kind of awkward if you were in his ward (that is a whole other post), one has grandkids and one has an RV and travels during the summer. I wish professors would give a quick slide show biography of their lives- it makes them seem more human like. Once you realize they are real people it changes everything. Or you can quickly learn alot if you see them at Wal-Mart or something. Which has happened. I do not reccomend learning about your professors this way. Its kind of awkward, and then chances are you will see them about 15 more times throughout your shopping trip. Not that running into your professor with a box of tampons is embarassing or anything. It could be worse.
** Today my professor had a scratchy voice and he said, "this is not a sick voice, I think it is my sexy voice". How is a class supposed to repsond to that?! haha. I just smiled and sort of laughed out lolud.

2 comments:

Kady (Ca-dee) said...

Dear alicia,
you're pretty creative, and sometimes I think that you have two many friends on facebook. I'm sorry that I'm terrible on commenting on what you actually wrote. I'll work on that. mmmmk. I don't know what to say. I love the college experience. My next comment will be better aiiight. love and aoe.

Serendipity said...

Clever...

When I was teaching, I would love seeing students at the store or mall...
They had to think that one through...especially if Pete was with me...