Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley
Today in my Institute class my teacher had us write down where we were when we found out about his passing away, and also our favorite memories and things we want to rember about him. My teacher also shared some of his memories which were very neat because he was called as a Mission President and a Member of the Seventy by President Hinckley.

Here are a few things I wrote down so I will not forget them...

Where I was when I found out...

I was at the Alpha Phi house waiting for our meeting to begin when someone received a text message telling them that President Hinckley passed away. At first I did not believe them, but as the meeting went on I kept receiving the same text message. It is so sad but at the same time it is amazing to know where he is and that he is reunited with his sweet wife. Yesterday was our ward conference and I was able to sustain President Hinckley one last time, which I am grateful for.


One of my very favorite Talks is from the closing remarks from the October 2001 General Conference
I re-read it this afternoon and it seems perfect for today.

He was the driving force for the building of dozens and dozens of temples there are now over 120 temples all over the world.

He stressed education for everyone, "It is so important that you young men and you young women get all of the education that you can..."
"Be grateful, be smart, be clean, be true, be humble, and be prayerful."

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sweet post - thanks for sharing it.

Serendipity said...

Beautifully said Alicia...

Happy Birthday!!! We love ya!

Elisa said...

Very sweet, made me tear up again.

Happy Birthday!! I will always remember your birthday not only because it's YOUR special day but also because Miriam was due that day 4 years ago. I thought I would die of anticipation and anxiety from Jan 29th-Feb 2 :)

I hope your day is full of fun and laugher! Miriam sent a birthday wish, but it won't arrive for a few days.