Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Summer Reading

I have been reading a bunch since I got home last month....


I have read "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell
"The Lovely Bones" by, Alice Sebold
"Digging to America" by, Anne Tyler

I would have to say out of those three my favorite was "Gone With The Wind". In fact it has become my new favorite book (replacing Pride and Prejudice). Much to my mother's dismay I identified a little too much with Scarlett! Her character sometimes made me laugh out loud, her opinions, decisions, and things she said were very ahead of her time! She was dramatic, spoiled, jealous, and did a lot of things out of spite. Note: These are not the reasons I identified with her! I can't really put my finger on why I liked her so much...

Text to Real Life Connections (Thank you AP Lit.)

"She could get Rhett back. She knew she could. There had never been a man she couldn't get, once she set her mind upon him." - Once or twice (a very long time ago) I may have been quoted saying this.

"I'll think of it all tomorrow... I can stand it then."
"I won't think of it now. I can't stand it now. I'll think of it later"- This is Scarlett's favorite method of coping with her problems. I have been known to say this, but after reading Gone With The Wind I have discovered that it is probably not the best coping method!


FUTURE READING


I think Sanjay Gupta (NOT Sanjaya from American Idol) is so hot- which is the real reason I took a picture with his book "Chasing Life". He is also smart, and a doctor, all of which add to the hot factor. However, I did watch a segment on CNN about the book and it seemed pretty interesting.

I am currently reading "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" (that has a nice ring to it) by Marisha Pessl. It sounds a lot smarter than it really is!

4 comments:

Serendipity said...

It is so great that you love to read...

I LOVED "Gone With The Wind", our first Christmas Pete gave me Scarlett. :)

Did your mom mention the book Twilight? I just finished it, and thought you'd enjoy it!

Elisa said...

Alicia...your back! So glad and way to go on the self imposed summer reading program! I have no idea who Sanjay Gupta is, I am SO OUT OF THE LOOP!

Twilight is a great book, I posted about it a few months ago, if Cristin and I both felt it was worth s post its got to be good right?

Mont said...

Kristy loves Ann Tyler books, so when you finish Digging to America, you should call her and have a little book club session. She would enjoy that a lot.

Sarah said...

"Gone With the Wind" is one of my favorites too! If you watch ER on TBS in the mornings from 8 to 10 am you can see Dr. Gupta during commercials. He gives medical advice and his little section is called Paging Dr. Gupta. I, too, appreciate his hotness.